6 Birthday Gift Ideas for Yourself
Pardon the selfish title – don’t worry, it’s not as bad as it looks. You see, I thought of writing about birthday gift ideas for yourself after finding myself in a dilemma. Every year, whenever my birthday comes along, I find myself staying indoors and foregoing a celebration altogether! That’s because during my birthday, there’s always a typhoon (read: murky flood waters, impossible traffic, people crying during typhoons).
I want to give myself a gift when it’s time for me to blow the proverbial candle. But for years, I refrained from celebrating my birthday because I thought it was insensitive to celebrate while others were miserable. Year after year, I ended up shrugging off what every other person had every right to celebrate: the basic birthday. Finally, I decided to join the bandwagon and just go ahead with it!
I know you mean well, but please don’t tell me to celebrate my birthday on some other calamity-free day. After all, there’s always someone suffering every day, typhoon or not!
But let’s go back to you. Yes, you. You are probably thinking of what to give yourself on your birthday. There’s that $1M car on your wish list, but whenever your feet drift back to earth, you realize you have to make a birthday wish that’s more, um, practical.
6 Birthday Gift Ideas for You
If you find yourself in the same boat as I, here are a few birthday gift ideas for you. Don’t worry, you deserve to celebrate – it’s your birthright, literally!
- Go shopping online. If you’d rather stay home on your birthday, that doesn’t mean you can’t go shopping. After all, you can always do so online. In preparation for my birthday yesterday, I went shopping/ windowshopping online and found myself on Royqueen’s Facebook page and a page about Christmas gift ideas on Zalora. There’s also eBay, in case you love pitting yourself against other bidders (yes, it can be fun, especially if you’re a closet competition addict).
- Pig out. Disclaimer: Eat at your own risk, especially if you had to put your cardiologist is on speed dial “just to be sure”. I personally love the Spirals buffet in Sofitel and also Circles in Makati Shangri-La. Choose your poison.
- Indulge in an extra-long relaxation regimen. You can get a full-body petrissage, a mud bath a la Louis Litt, or a hair treatment with a head massage thrown in. It’s the perfect day to be zen!
- Sleep in – and let your spouse take the kids out. This is worth it especially if you’ve been working extra hours. Imagine eight hours of sleep with all of your gadgets in silent mode. You have the house to yourself. Happy birthday; you deserve it!
- Go on a movie marathon. I bet you probably have favorite movies in your hard drive that you watch over and over. (I watch the sitcom “Friends” all the time – it’s like eating comfort food!) Prepare some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the hours to come!
- Go on a reading spree. If you’re a bookworm like me, you will love spending the entire day catching up on your reading. I’m currently reading three books: A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, Predictable Irrationality by Dan Ariely, and Batman. How about you, what books would be on your to-read list?
Which gifts will you give yourself on your birthday? As for me, I’m giving myself all of the above! (I just hope the inclement weather cooperates. Birthday or not, I would be so much happier knowing that nobody is stranded somewhere because of the flood.)
I’m sure there are many other ways to give yourself a well-deserved birthday gift – feel free to comment and give suggestions! As for your birthday gift to me, you can always add me to your circles on Google Plus.
See the “follow” button above?
Click on it and that’s enough of a birthday present for me!
Enjoy celebrating the day you were born. After all, nobody else on earth is like you. Hey, maybe that’s a good thing! Just kidding.