How To Create A Good Blog on Blogger (Blogspot)
Ever since I started blogging, people have been asking me about how to start their own blog. Bloggers like myself have preferences: some go for Blogger (Blogspot), while others opt for Wordpress. Many others prefer microblogging using Plurk or Tumblr. However, there is something about Blogger that appeals to me (so if you’re a Wordpress fanatic, don’t bother trying to convince me otherwise).
2. Next, you get to choose the Name and URL of your Blogger blog.
TIP: Before you type in the name of your blog, decide on the URL first and check its availability. It saves you the trouble of having to type in both the name and the URL every single time if the URL you’ve previously thought of is already taken. (Note: the URL of your blog is the “address” of your blog, which you type in your browser to visit a certain site. It starts with http://…)
3. Choose a temporary template. (A template dictates the overall appearance, color, and font types of your blog.) I say temporary, because the templates that Blogger offers are a little too generic for my taste. You should customize your template for it to look attractive and for it to be more functional, based on your needs.
I shall soon write a walkthrough on how you can customize your template. Watch for it!
4. Before you start blogging via Blogger, you might want to use a blogger application that will help make blogging quite easy. If you’re using a PC and a Windows OS, I recommend Windows Live Writer. It’s absolutely free!
Here are a few of the things I love about Windows Live Writer:
- It’s absolutely free.
- You can use it to write a draft of your blog post even when you’re offline. This means that even while you’re not connected to the Internet, you can write your blog post for Blogger. When you go online, you can simply publish that draft and Windows Live Writer automatically publishes your draft to your Blogger blog!
- Managing videos and pictures becomes real easy. If it’s your first time to blog and you decide to use the interface of Blogger to blog, you will find out that there are only several ways to resize your picture (small, medium, large…). However, with Windows Live Writer, you can drag and drop pictures, resize by dragging corners, rename your pictures, and customize the borders beautifully. That’s something you can’t do on Blogger alone!
- You have a wider selection of font types and sizes to choose from. If you have new fonts installed or if you prefer a font that’s not available through Blogger, Windows Live Writer provides many ways for you to customize your fonts! You can make the fonts look like headers in just one click.
And in case you’re wondering, no, I’m not affiliated with Windows. I just love their Writer. :)
5. Once you’ve installed the Windows Live Writer, it’s time for you to create your very first blog post! To get your blog a high page ranking and great search engine results, blog about topics relevant to the name of your blog. (Yeah, I know, the name of my blog doesn’t match what I blog about – that helps explain why my page ranking is low.)
6. Lastly, enjoy! Blogging is such a therapeutic way to connect with everyone in the virtual world. It’s also a great way to earn extra money (more of that in my next blog post!). And make sure you tell your friends about your blog.
If you do create a blog, please leave the URL of your blog through the comment form below – I want to read it! :D